Sonia Gupta, MD
Dr. Sonia Gupta is the Senior Medical Director of Rad AI and an Abdominal Radiologist at Radiologist Associates of Florida. Dr. Gupta has consulted for Google, IBM Watson Health, and GE with former faculty appointments at Harvard Medical School and Temple University School of Medicine. Dr. Gupta was the co-founder of the SheRads Women’s Radiology Group at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dr. Gupta is the Chair of the Guerbet AI Advisory Board and is an Advisor for MassMutual Ventures Southeast Asia. She is a board member of the American Board of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine and an editorial board member of Applied Radiology’s Medical Industry Section. Dr. Gupta is passionate about the possibilities of AI in radiology and mentoring residents/fellows.
TOPICS & EXPERTISE:
- AI in Global Health
- AI Beyond Image Interpretation
- What Can AI Do in Radiology
- Current State of AI in Radiology
- Social Media’s Impact on the AI vs. Radiologist Narrative
- New Power Leadership Styles
- Harnessing New Power in AI Development
- Addressing Gender Disparities in the Radiology Workforce
- Radiologists in Patient Consultation Clinics
- What I Wish I Knew Before My First Year of Being an Attending
- How to be an Effective Mentor
- How to transition from RFS to YPS and stay involved with the ACR
- Updates on the Current Job Market
- Benign Pathology of the Female Pelvis: US & MRI Correlation
- M.D. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- 2015-2018 Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology, Temple University School of Medicine
- 2018-2020 Instructor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Director of Ultrasound at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC)
- 2020-Current Senior Medical Director Rad AI, Abdominal Radiologist at Radiology Associates of Florida (RAF)
RECENT TALKS & EVENTS:
- 2019 The New Power of AI – Chicago, Illinois AIMed AI Conference
- 2019 New Power Dynamics in Leadership – Skamania, Washington sponsored by the American College of Radiology
- 2019 New Power in Leadership and AI Development – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania sponsored by the Pennsylvania Radiological Society Chapter of the American College of Radiology
- 2019 Benign Pathology of the Female Pelvis with US and MRI Correlation, New Power in Leadership & AI Invited Visiting Professor Grand Rounds – Indianapolis, Indiana sponsored by the Indiana University Radiology Department
- 2019 Diversity in AI Panel, AI in Academics Panel Radiology Partners Artificial Intelligence Summit Panel – Silicon Valley, California
- 2019 Benign Pathology of the Female Pelvis with US and MRI Correlation, New Power in Leadership & AI Invited Visiting Professor Grand Rounds Medical University of South Carolina
- 2019 Current State of Radiology AI Chicago, IL RSNA
- 2019 Invited Featured Speaker: AI in Radiology, AI in Global Health Laguna Beach, California sponsored by AIMed
- 2020 InnovatorMD Global Summit 2020 Invited Featured Speaker: AI in Global Health San Francisco, California sponsored by Society of Physician Entrepreneurs
- 2020 Future of AI in Radiology – Los Angeles Radiological Society (LARS) 2020 Annual Meeting Invited CME Speaker
- 2020 Benign Pathology of the Female Pelvis with US and MRI Correlation, What I Wish I Knew Before My First Year of Being an Attending – Invited Grand Rounds Christiana Care Hospital – Newark, Delaware sponsored by Christiana Care Hospital
- 2020 Artificial Intelligence in the Era of Covid-19 – Co-sponsored by NYU School of Professional Studies & Applied Radiology
- 2020 Early Career Faculty Development Course: New Power in Leadership Philadelphia, PA sponsored by Association of University Radiologists
- 2020 The Impact of Social Media on the AI vs. Radiologist Narrative – Aunt Minnie Fall Virtual Conference
- 2020 Speaking Across Generations Workshop – Society of Advanced Body Imaging Annual Meeting
- 2020 Gratitude in the Time of Covid – Society of Advanced Body Imaging Annual Meeting
- 2020 Effective Mentorship Faculty Development Workshop – RSNA Annual Meeting
- 2020 AI Platforms and Ecosystems – Where Are We Headed? – SIIM Ask Industry Webinar
- 2020 NLP in Radiology Panel Discussion Moderator – AIMED Annual Meeting
- 2021 AI in Radiology: Beyond the Images – Sponsored by Applied Radiology & Guerbet
- 2021 AI Lecture Series: How do I learn about AI? – Sponsored by Guerbet, Applied Radiology & AIMED
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS:
Report of Scholarship
Peer-Reviewed Scholarship in print or other media:
1. Marin D, Ramirez-Giraldo JC, Gupta S, Fu W, Stinnett SS, Mileto A, Bellini D, Patel B, Samei E, Nelson RC. Effect of a Noise-Optimized Second-Generation Monoenergetic Algorithm on Image Noise and Conspicuity of Hypervascular Liver Tumors: An In Vitro and In Vivo Study. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Jun;206(6):1222-32. PMID: 27058192.
2. Bellini D, Gupta S, Ramirez-Giraldo JC, Fu W, Stinnett SS, Patel B, Mileto A, Marin D.
Use of a Noise Optimized Monoenergetic Algorithm for Patient-Size Independent Selection of an Optimal Energy Level During Dual-Energy CT of the Pancreas. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2017 Jan;41(1):39-47. PMID: 27560021.
Other peer-reviewed scholarship:
1. Kattapuram TM, Patel AK, Solberg AO, Gupta SC. Radiology as a Career for Women: Influences and Recommendations. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 May;14(5):668-670. PMID: 28139414. [Training and education, Case studies in training and education]
2. Gupta S, Jha S. In Hindsight: What I Wish I Knew Before Becoming a Junior Faculty Member. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Jul;14(7):995-996. PMID: 28433603. [Leadership, Opinion]
3. Gupta S, Patel TY. Radiologists Should Not Be “Ordered” Around. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Dec;14(12):1639-1640. PMID: 28709780. [Leadership, Young Physicians’ Column]
4. Kattapuram TM, Gupta S. Testifying on Legislation: A Primer for the Inexperienced Radiologist. J Am Coll Radiol. 2018 Feb;15(2):360-361. PMID: 29055607. [Leadership, Young Physicians’ Column]
5. Patel TY, Gupta S. More Than An Order The Radiologist-Patient Consultation Clinic Conundrum. J Am Coll Radiol. Accepted for Publication 2019 January 19.
1. American College of Radiology (ACR) Case in Point: https://cortex.acr.org/CiP/Pages/CaseArchive
The AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for each case is valid for 3 years from the date the case was posted. Credits awarded for this enduring activity are designated “SA-CME” by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) and qualify toward fulfilling requirements for Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part II: Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment.
Gupta S, Gakhal MS. Tracheal Rupture.
ACR Case in point. Published April 20, 2012.
Sullivan I, Gupta S. Uterine Lipoleiomyoma. ACR Case in Point.
Accepted for publication February 21, 2017.
Hota P, Facciola J, Clement D, Gupta S. Pregnancy within a Single Uterine Horn of a Bicornuate Uterus. Accepted August 21, 2017.
Hota P, Clement D, Facciola J, Tint D, Gupta S. Ingested Fish Bone with Subsequent Esophageal Perforation in a Young Adult. Accepted August 28, 2017.
Fenerty S, Gupta S. Proximal Interruption of the Right Pulmonary Artery.
ACR Case in Point. Published September 18, 2017.
Montecalvo N, Hota P, Lau K, Gupta S. Replaced Cystic Artery from the SMA.
Accepted November 13, 2017.
2. Hota P, Caroline D, Gupta S, Agosto O. Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Erosion with Intragastric Band Migration: A Rare but Serious Complication. Radiology Case Reports. Accepted for publication November 13, 2017.
3. Fenerty S, Gupta S, Anoakar J, Patel T. Cesarean scar ectopic pregnancy.
Appl Radiol. 2017;46(12):20-21.
4. Berg B, Cobb R, Panzer K, Powers B, Gupta S, Patel T. Complete gastric transmural migration of a prosthetic hiatal hernia. Appl Radiol. 2017;47(1):40-42.
Professional educational materials or reports, in print or other media:
1. Gupta S, Hawkins M, Czum J, Jha S.
Radiology Firing Line: Being a New Faculty Member in Radiology.
Journal of the American College of Radiology Blog. August 2016.
2. Gupta S, Kattapurum T, Hawkins M, Jha S.
Radiology Firing Line: Why Women Don’t Chose Radiology as a Career.
Journal of the American College of Radiology Blog. Recorded May 2017.
Social Media Outreach:
1. Gupta S. Facebook page and interactive engagement group creation for the Pennsylvania Radiological Society to increase society members’ engagement August 2015
2. Gupta S. Twitter account creation for Pennsylvania Radiological Society to increase the society’s visibility nationally August 2015
3. Gupta S. Co-moderator of #PennRadBooks_
Tweet chat book club presented by University of Pennsylvania Radiology Department
November 2016, July 2016
4. Gupta S. PA Congressman Dwight Evans visit to Temple Hospital to support CT Colonography Screening Legislation October 2017
5. How Women Rise / Facilitator
Conference call / Tweet chat book club
ACR Young Professional Section. August 2018
6. New Power / Facilitator
Conference call / Tweet chat book club
ACR Young Professional Section and Senior and Retired Section. December 2018